Tuesday, September 1, 2009

The NEW "Novel News"!

I promised more news and less reviews, so let's just get down to it, shall we?

RELEASE DATE 9/1/09

"Catching Fire" by Suzanne Collins. This is the second book of her Hunger Games series, and again, it's considered YA fiction. However, the first book definitely had an adult following as well, so consider this a cross-over a la Twilight. Haven't read Collins myself, but know several who read "Hunger Games" and really enjoyed it. Sadly, I just saw a review for CF in the latest edition of EW, and it was less than stellar. Here's hoping they were just a in a bad mood that day!

"Dark Slayer" by Christine Feehan. Lord, this woman has a following of faithful fans, doesn't she? And this is the umpteenth book in her Carpathian series, although this time the lead character is female (not sure she's done that before). I've tried one full-length book in this series and a novella, and I just don't get the fascination. Oh well, not everything is for everyone, right?

"Homer & Langley" by E. L. Doctorow. One of those authors that looks a bit too high-brow for me. Probably good, but I want entertainment when I read, not serious in-depth drama.

"Walking Dead" by C. E. Murphy. Murphy is going back to her Urban Shaman character, so this is actually Book 4 in the Walker Papers series. This was an up-and-down sort of read, if I remember correctly. I really enjoyed the first book, slogged thru the second, then raced through the third. Hopefully this installment will be a good one.

And on just a fun note, there's a non-fiction book coming out this Friday, 9/4/09, that I saw on Amazon that just looks too cute to miss. It's called "Cake Wrecks: When Professional Cakes Go Hilariously Wrong" by Jen Yates. Looks to be the sort of thing that would be good for a laugh and won't take much time to read. Wish we'd get it here at the library, but we're watching every penny here, and this isn't really a good use of the tax-payer money we're funded with. Oh well!

OK, that's it for today. That takes you up to next week's new items, which I hope to get to tomorrow, provided I have the time. Hope you enjoy the "news" - but don't worry, I still have reviews planned for this blog, too!

No comments: