Friday, September 18, 2009

Tomorrow, tomorrow!

Wow! Tomorrow, the 22nd, will be a banner day for new titles! I was looking over my list, and there's just a whole lot coming out. Wish I had the money to buy some of them, and wish I was already seeing some of these listed in my library. Patience, grasshopper, patience.

Hothouse Orchid by Stuart Woods. This is the fifth in his Holly Barker series. I don't read this guy, but I can tell you he's pretty popular. The only thing I've heard patrons say that has stuck with me is that he can be a little outrageous when describing his male protagonist's sexual exploits. Since this is his heroine, hopefully there's none of that in here!

Mama Dearest by E. Lynn Harris. Sadly, Harris passed away in July at just 54 years old. He certainly wasn't the first gay black author, but he was the first to make it big writing about life on the "down-low". I've read a few articles that said he really exposed the whole gay black athlete thing, which I'm sure was quite shocking at the time. I don't know if he'll be one of those that they find a "lost" manuscript, but I kinda hope so.

An Echo in the Bone by Diana Gabaldon. OK, I'll admit it - I just don't get the whole time-traveler romance genre. So I haven't read any of these books, even though one of my closest friends swears to me that they're just fabulous. I think I'm put off by the size of them - they're very, very long. Oh well, maybe one of these days....

The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood. I've enjoyed some of her writing, but this is an author I have to be in the mood for. Much more "literary" than most of what I pick up, and for some strange reason, we tend to classify a lot of hers as science fiction. Still haven't figured that out yet!

Blood's a Rover by James Ellroy. This is the last in the author's Underworld USA trilogy, and it's getting some very good critical reviews. Ellroy writes fictional crime dramas that incorporate real-life characters. Perhaps best known for his novel "L.A. Confidential", which was later turned into an award-winning movie. (A really great movie, too, in my opinion!)

Arguing with Idiots: How to Stop Small Minda and Big Government by Glenn Beck. I used to catch Beck's show every once in a while when he was still affiliated with CNN. I read his first book, and while I didn't agree with all of it, I did find that we had some common ground. But ever since he defected to Fox News, he's gone crazy. I mean, really - I think he might have had some sort of psychotic break. I might pick this up just to see if his insanity is just to grab TV ratings or if it carries over to his writing also.

The Greatest Show on Earth: The Evidence of Evolution by Richard Dawkins. OK, if you've been following the blog, you know that I read Dawkin's book " The God Delusion". And you know that while I agree with him in theory about some things, I was very, very put off by his approach in said title. Hopefully, he will redeem himself by writing about what he believes in, rather than what he doesn't. I'll probably pick it up, but rather than slog through the whole thing, if his tone is still defiant and condescending, I'll return it quickly!


No comments: