Wednesday, September 2, 2009

What to watch for next week

OK, there isn't a whole lot coming out next week, so this should be short, sweet, and to the point!

"The Last Song" by Nicholas Sparks. Sigh. Yet another tear-jerker by one of today's hottest writers. And as if the book wasn't bad enough, I guess the movie is already being filmed, and yes, it's supposed to be a vehicle for Miley Cyrus. I just don't have anything good to say about this one, so I'll quit here.

"Official Book Club Selection: A Memoir According to Kathy Griffin" by Kathy Griffin. If you haven't caught her show on cable, you're missing out. I don't see it on a regular basis, but it's always funny. She considers herself a "D-List" celebrity, although I'm guessing that's changed a bit by now. I love her talking about her gays, about Gaykin (aka Clay Akin), and just generally anyone else she's snarking about. The woman has had way too much plastic surgery for my taste, but at least she hasn't gotten to the Joan Rivers look yet.

"Dexter by Design" by Jeff Lindsay. YES! Dexter is back!! I have loved this guy from the beginning, but I gotta tell ya - it's not easy to sell people on the idea of a great book written from the perspective of a serial killer. Just kinda throws them off when you tell them that Dexter's a bit dark. But hey - he only kills the bad ones! I'm hoping this one is better than the last entry; in the third book, Dexter loses touch with his "dark passenger" and basically has no idea how to handle his life. It was a bit strange, and overall, a bit dull. I definitely prefer Dexter when his "dark passenger" is with him. I love the dry humor, and the character development is awesome, too. The Showtime series based on these books isn't bad, either.

No comments: