Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The best for last

Well, another month has come and gone, and The Bookbabe hasn't been nearly as prolific here as she'd hoped to be. However, it's nice to see that two authors have now commented on reviews I've done - good to get feedback, even better to know there are people reading this! (other than my sis and Indy friend, who snark at me often to get busy!)

I believe some of the best books are now in stores, having hit the shelves yesterday. Or perhaps I should say most-hyped, or long-awaited, or however you want to word it. I know one that I've been anxious to read is on the list! So, without further ado, let's get to it, shall we?

Have a Little Faith by Mitch Albom. Albom returns to his roots, so to speak, in this non-fiction piece. He's asked by a rabbi to deliver the man's eulogy, something Albom isn't completely comfortable with. I know that there are fans out there that will read pretty much anything he writes, and since he's not one to crank them out every year, I have a feeling this will do well. The only work of his I read was "The Five People You Meet in Heaven", and it was OK. My hubby really enjoyed it, but I'd just read "White Apples" by Jonathan Carroll, which I think covers the same theme in a much more interesting way.

Rough Country by John Sandford. Another in the Virgil Flowers series. Can't say much about them except the hubby loves them, along with the other Sandford series. I know there's always a pretty good reserve list when they first hit the library!

Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger. Heard of "The Time Traveler's Wife"? If you hadn't already read the book, you probably got interested when they did the movie. This is the same author. I wasn't all that interested in TTTW but this one has me curious, as it's about ghosts, much more the sort of thing I would be likely to pick up. Only problem is that I haven't seen any stellar reviews of it - most are along the lines of a C+ or so, saying it's "disappointing". Guess it depends on what you like, huh? Then again, it's always hard to live up to a blockbuster...

Dawnbreaker by Jocelynn Drake. YES! This is the one, people, the one I've been waiting for! It's the third book in her Dark Days series, and I cannot wait to see what direction she takes with the story. I loved the first two books (read reviews on this blog), and I'm just totally stoked about this entry. Even better is that I have learned she's working on the fifth book, which means Mira's story is far from over!

And thus endeth September. I'll try to do better in October, both with the news and with the reviews. Keep on reading!

No comments: