Sunday, January 6, 2008

"Many Bloody Returns" edited by Charlaine Harris and Toni L. P. Kelner


This is probably one of the strongest short story collections I've read in a quite a while. Out of the 13 all-new vampire tales provided here, I really only disliked about two of them. Then again, most of the authors are favorites of mine, as are the characters they write about. Sort of like visiting old friends, you know?

Harris's tale is first and it's about our beloved Sookie Stackhouse. It's a cute story, mostly due to the surprise that Eric, our stalwart and somewhat brooding head vamp, is actually a total fan-boy of Dracula's. Seems Drac is rumored to go around on Halloween night and pick one of the head vamps to visit personally. Eric eagerly awaits the Count's appearance each and every year, much in the way that Linus awaits the Great Pumpkin (an analogy provided by Sookie herself). It's nice to see Eric at a bit of a loss again, much the way he was in the series when he lost his memory.

There are other old favorites here, such as Harry Dresden and Henry Fitzroy. Interestingly enough, my favorite story was by an author I don't believe I'd read before, Elaine Viets. Her tale of a wronged wife, "Vampire Hours", really caught me and reeled me in - I loved it!

Overall, if you like your vampires and have read some or all of these authors before, you won't be disappointed. Pick up "Many Bloody Returns" today!

No comments: