Friday, January 4, 2008

"The Color of Magic" by Terry Pratchett


This is the novel that begins the famous (or perhaps infamous) Discworld series by Pratchett. Since I spent most of last year plodding through paranormal romances (some really horrid ones, at that), I thought I'd try a little something different over my holiday break. Normally, I'm not a huge fan of science fiction unless it falls into the paranormal realm, what I believe they have dubbed dark fantasy (where do they come up with these categories?!) Being somewhat familiar with Pratchett, I thought I'd give the Discworld series a go.

The story basically revolves around a somewhat inept wizard named Rincewind and his new found friend, the tourist Twoflower. Also, there's the matter of Twoflower's luggage, a rather innocuous looking box that happens to be made of sapient pearwood, a very special material; the luggage comes complete with lots of tiny legs and a rather nasty habit of eating anyone it considers a threat to its owner (in this case, the aforementioned Twoflower).

The two travelers have several adventures, including but not limited to a pub brawl and ending up at the edge of the world (the Discworld, that is). Death makes an appearance (several, actually) and the Luggage eats a lot of people. There's magic and mayhem, basically. It's a very strange story without a true ending. No, really! I'm still not entirely sure I know what happened to all the characters after closing the book!

Did I like it? Um, I suppose. Would I recommend it? Uh, yeah. Will I read another one of the series? Yes, just to see if this one is the weakest of the lot. Stay tuned for another visit to Discworld in the near future.

No comments: