Monday, March 26, 2007

"Away Laughing on a Fast Camel" and "Then He Ate My Boy Entrancers" by Louise Rennison

What is it with me and these YA books? Particularly these books about Georgia and her life? As Gee would say "Fabbity Fab Fab"!

Nothing new really happens in either book. Gee is still going to school at Stalag 14, still crazy about boys, still clueless about said boys, and still amazed at the antics of her cat Angus. So why do I love these books so much? I'm really asking ya'll why - this is not a rhetorical question!

No, really, I think I know the answer. The books reminds me of myself at that age, and sometimes you just want a stroll down memory lane. Gee is not the brightest of girls (OK, maybe that doesn't remind me of myself!), her life is all about her and her wants/needs, and she thinks boys are just awesome. I can totally relate on that count! The number of crushes I had in grade school alone is staggering. Of course, I never had much luck with boys until I got to college, and even then it wasn't the best of luck. Guess Gee has me beat there!

Yes, they are repetitive, no Gee hasn't grown up, no her parents still don't get her, etc. There's nothing new, and yet they're still fun to read, unlike the Lemony Snicket series. Sorry, I tried to read them since they were so insanely popular, but only made it through the fourth installment. You knew exactly what was going to happen and it just seemed very stale. I can't tell you why I didn't enjoy those the way I have the Rennison books.

Go check out Georgia Nicolson and her ramblings at a library near you!

No comments: