Wednesday, April 16, 2008

"Vampire Hunter D: Demon Deathchase" by Hideyuki Kikuchi and Yoshitaka Amano


Way back in the day, there was this little video called "Vampire Hunter D". I think my sister was the one that originally found it and bought it. It was a cool anime movie, pretty much back before anime really exploded. In fact, I think it was still termed Japanimation or some such thing at the time. Wild stuff, and of course, kinda romantic, that Vampire Hunter D character. Well, to a young shy teen, anyway...

Imagine my surprise when this book showed up at the library a month or so ago. I had no idea they'd written books about D, let alone volumes of them! And they are books, not graphic novels, so I was happy about that. Sorry, never really got into that genre.

Ah, how time changes our view of things! Maybe it's my age, maybe it was the writing (or the translation, perhaps) but this was just so-so. It was short, I'll give it that much. The plot is basically D chasing after what appears to be a "bad" vampire lord, one who has appearantly kidnapped a young lady and run off with her across the wastelands that now make up the world. When D shows up to take the job, so do a family of vampire-hunters; I use the term "family" in the loosest sense possible. Although the gang is related by blood, they have to be one of the most dysfunctional, incestuous families to roll down a dusty road in a long time. They consider themselves to have taken on the job of rescuing the girl, so D is now their enemy, one they will kill if possible.

And that's pretty much it. Of course you find out the evil vamp is no such thing, that the story is pretty much a star-crossed love story, and that the town is a victim of an entirely different sort of vampire. Of course D is going to have to kill (or attempt to kill) most of the family of vamp hunters; others will be picked off by other nefarious characters. It all seemed very cartoon-like; maybe that was the point.

After finishing this, volume III, I doubt I'll look too hard for the others. If it makes any difference, my husband really enjoyed it. Then again, I don't think he ever saw the movie, and maybe this is just more of "boy" kind of writing.

No comments: