Wednesday, September 3, 2008

"Belle Weather: Mostly Sunny with a Scattered Chance of Hissy Fits" by Celia Rivenbark


I've read all of Rivenbark's books, and I have to say, this one is not my favorite. It's not bad and I did enjoy it, but not nearly as much as some of her previous works. Perhaps I've grown tired of the Southern take on things, or maybe the author has run out of new ways to put the Southern view, I'm not sure.

Rivenbark is at her best when she's admitting to her faults as a mother, especially when compared to the "super mommies" she finds herself dealing with at school, the playground, etc. I have to admit, I enjoy these essays the most because I probably would be much like Rivenbark; I'm not about to whip up 2 or 3 dozen homemade, hand-decorated cupcakes for little Johnny to take to school TOMORROW - I'd be over at the Piggly Wiggly, the Food Lion, the whatever buying up as many as they'd sell me.

It did surprise me a bit that she had some anti-Republican stuff in this book, only because I don't really look at her as any sort of political commentator. And she's from North Carolina, which has tended to be a fairly red state; we're famous (or infamous) for Jesse Helms and the like, after all. Granted, there are a lot of people out there unhappy with the current administration, and this is still a free country, so she's allowed to voice her opinion. She's just not nearly as funny when she's going the political route.

Overall, a solid B- of a book. Still has some good laughs in it. If you're looking for better work from Celia, try some of her previous books, especially "We're Just Like You, Only Prettier".

No comments: