Saturday, October 24, 2009

Last week of October 2009

Ah, yes, 'tis the season. For the "holiday" books to start hitting the stores, that is. If you follow this blog even a tiny bit, you know that I do not like the whole concept of holiday books. I find them to be cheesy and overpriced, and often they do nothing to forward a series along. Guess this is why I'm not in publishing, huh? Anyway, there are a few good titles coming out the last week of this fall month, so let's get to them, shall we?

"Angel Time: The Songs of the Seraphim" by Anne Rice. Jesus has left the building, and now Rice is concentrating on angels. Still fiction, but hopefully better than her works about the life of Christ. Had a few patrons try to read those and said while it was obvious that she'd done a lot of historical background, the stories themselves were very dry and boring. Egad! Also read a review of this in either EW or People (sorry, just got both yesterday and can't remember which mag right now!); said it was a pretty good story even if it was a bit preachy. I think I'll wait and see what the patrons have to say.

"Ayn Rand and the World She Made" by Anne C. Heller. This might be an interesting bio to read, especially if you like Rand and her works. I'll admit I have great aspirations to read "Atlas Shrugged" - until I remember how BIG that book is! I did finally read "Anthem", which was not only pretty good but also a much more appealing (and manageable) size.

"Emeril Quick and Easy" by Emeril Lagasse. I used to love to watch this guy cook. Sadly, I find myself bored now when I come across his show. It seems to be the same old thing each time. And "quick and easy"? I highly doubt it.

"The Gathering Storm (Wheel of Time series #12)" by Robert Jordan. I guess if you're a hardcore fantasy reader, this is the series to read. I know it used to be very popular about 10 years ago or so when I was still working at the used book store. I've had a few people inquire about this and when it's coming out, but not nearly as many one would expect for a series that was still well-loved. Time will tell...

"Grave Secret" by Charlaine Harris. Oooooh, now this is one I've been waiting for! This will be the fourth entry in Harris's Harper Connelly series, and I'm anxious to read it. However, I will admit a bit of fear as well; the last Sookie Stackhouse book was not very good. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Harris still has enough time to do justice to Harper and her world.

"Last Night in Twisted River" by John Irving. Back to the "literary" guys. Never read anything by him, never wanted to.

"Matchless: A Christmas Story" by Gregory Maguire. Maguire has hit the big time with his book "Wicked", especially after they turned it into a musical. What some may not know is that he's done several juvenile fiction pieces as well. This might be a holiday crossover for him - hard to say. The only problem I see with this is that the original tale of the little matchstick girl is not a happy holiday tale. And this year I just think people are going to want happy endings.

"Nigella Christmas" by Nigella Lawson. Love this woman! Have never made any of her recipes because, again, they are not easy cooking, not for me, anyway. But I think she's a brilliant person to watch - she obviously loves food (never trust a skinny chef!). I think the best part is listening to her descriptions of the food she's working with, truly poetic. But... this is a holiday book. Sigh.

"True Blue" by David Baldacci. Another patron favorite. Never read him, but I'm told he's good.

"You Better Not Cry: Stories for Christmas" by Augusten Burroughs. ARGH! Another "holiday" book! Told you they were starting to hit the shelves. I haven't read any of Burroughs other works, either, so I can't tell you if he's good or not. I do get the impression that he's a bit like David Sedaris - you either love him or you hate him.

Until next week (or the next review), keep on reading!

No comments: