Wednesday, March 5, 2008

"The Dead Girls' Dance" by Rachel Caine


It's been a while since I read the first book of the Morganville Vampire series, "Glass Houses". I was anxious to read this one, remembering how much I enjoyed the first book. I do remember wondering why we had ours in regular fiction, rather than Young Adult; the spine label had the YA category clearly listed on it.

Well, this book does, too, but after reading it, I'm not sure that's where I'd put it. Not due to overly adult content, but mostly due to how dark the book is. I know that the YA crowd likes to read about angst and drama and such, but wow! This one is really, really dark and almost non-stop action (not car-chase sort of action, either).

I can't really give too much of a plot description because I doubt many of you have read the first book. This series, much like her Weather Warden series, builds book upon book. If you don't start at the beginning, you'll be lost. I had a hard time at the beginning of this book because it pretty much starts where Book One left off; as I said, it's been a while since I read that one. I finally remembered what happened previously, which helped. I really thought I was going to have to go back and re-read "Glass Houses"!

I did like this, but felt a bit emotionally drained after finishing it. It's a small book, too! I have the third in the series, but I'm not sure about reading it. I'm just not in that dark of a place right now!

No comments: