Friday, July 31, 2009

"The Mammoth Book of Vampire Romance" edited by Trisha Telep


I don't normally pick up the "mammoth" book of anything - too many stories by too many writers I've never heard of, and usually the ones I do know haven't contributed much of anything. This came in for a patron, and when she didn't pick it up, I got to looking at it. Wonder of wonders, this book had several authors that I did know, even read on a regular basis. I figured what the heck and checked it out.

Well, as is typical of most anthologies, there are hits and there are misses, and there are some that are just sort of there. The editor has a nice, short intro and she warns that some will be quite romantic while others are more tame. One or two entries may even border on the erotic (um, not really, but anyway...) The cover is a bit misleading, as it states "over 25 short stories of hot blood, midnight pleasures, and inhuman passions". Turns out there are exactly 25 entries, and only a few of them are really "hot". Sigh.

The authors included here are as follows: Sherri Erwin, Caitlin R. Kiernan (appearing twice), Jenna Black, Jenna Maclaine, Raven Hart, Delilah Devlin, Keri Arthur, Kimberly Raye, Alexis Morgan, Lilith Saintcrow (appearing twice), C.T. Adams & Cathy Clamp, Susan Sizemore, Dina James, Colleen Gleason, Barbary Emrys, Savannah Russe, Shiloh Walker, Vicki Pettersson, Rebecca York, Rachel Vincent, Amanda Ashley, Karen Chance, and Nancy Holder.

The best bets are by Chance, Saintcrow, Pettersson, and Black. I won't go into great detail on any one story, but I've read everyone in that group except Black. I might have to go check out one of her books now. As far as the ones I wasn't impressed with, there were a few, but none were so horrible as to deserve a special "skip this story" blurb.

It's a nice book to have on your bedside table; none of the stories is overly long, and they might give you some interesting dreams!

No comments: