Friday, August 22, 2008

"The Darwin Awards II" by Wendy Northcutt


The Darwin Awards are one of the best forms of comic relief around. I loved the first book and was looking at a professional catalog when I saw that there's a FIFTH edition coming out. It reminded me of this series existence, so I got myself a copy of this, the second book, then proceeded to laugh myself silly at the stupidity of my fellow men. Good stuff, good stuff.

In case you're not familiar with the DAs, let me fill you in. These awards are given to those individuals who are really, quite honestly, just dumb as dirt. These fine individuals must do something so completely asinine that it removes them from the gene pool - yep, they usually have to die. There are those rare specimens who manage to accomplish self-sterilization of some form, and that makes them eligible. But mostly, they just die.

Just to give you an idea of what sort of people we're talking about, I'll give you what I thought was one of the more memorable examples in the book. A rather portly gentleman was found dead in his bed after his rotting corpse started to exude a foul odor (as rotting corpses are wont to do). Seems this man lived mostly on a diet of cabbage and beans, an extremely flatulant combination, of course. When he retired for the evening, he had left his bedroom window closed, as well as his bedroom door and...yes, you guessed it...he literally farted himself to death.

No comments: