Friday, February 15, 2008

"The Prophet" by Kahlil Gibran


I finally picked this up last weekend after reading quotes from it on a friend's MySpace page. And hearing her talk about it for a long time, too! It's one of her all-time favorite books, and since it obviously means a lot to her, I thought "why not?"

Well, the only thing I guess I can say is that it didn't take too long to read. I do have a confession to make - I do NOT like poetry in general. And that's what this is, really, one very long and sort of New-Age-y poem. There were fragments here and there that I thought "yeah, I can see that" or "yes, I would agree with that". But I didn't have any sense of being moved by this book.

What's more, I went to Amazon thinking that maybe others out there were just as unimpressed by it. Turns out - NO. There are well over 200 reviews of this work on Amazon and none are less than 4-star reviews. Not a one! So, I guess I'm the only one out here that just doesn't quite get it.

I am glad that my friend likes it though. I totally believe that there should be at least one book in everyone's life that they adore and recommend all the time to people. I, of course, have several! But this isn't going to be one of them.

No comments: