Wednesday, March 5, 2008

"My Sister is a Werewolf" by Kathy Love


I figured I'd check this out since I read the author's trilogy about the Young brothers, three very handsome vampires looking for love. However, when the book got to me, I did get a tad worried; the writeup on the back stated that Elizabeth Young, the werewolf of the title, is "in heat - and soon every dangerous wolf pack for miles around will be at her door. To buy time, she needs to have sex, and often, with the first human mate she can find...."

Crap. Double crap. This was going to be one of those books! I was lamenting the loss of yet another author that I had previously enjoyed when I opened the book. I would stick to the 50 page rule and close it soon after, especially since it was going to be a sex-fest. Sigh.

But all is not lost, dear readers! Ms. Love did not stray down the path of the "Plot? Who needs a plot?" authors! This turned out to be a fun little book, one that gives a bit of a different spin on the old boy meets girl story. And yes, there was sex, but not nearly as much as the back of the book suggested, nor was it written in a carnal way. I was very, very relieved to find that - yes - there was still a plot to the book, one that was more than "girl needs to find mate".

Elizabeth has been a werewolf for a very long time. She's been mated to Brody Devlin for most of that time, but once she grew accustomed to her "alternative lifestyle", she asserted her independence and has been on her own. She's been working on a "cure" for her condition, one that seems to be more and more elusive; she knows she's running out of time. She wants a normal life, but it's looking like that's just about impossible.

Until the night she spots Jensen Adler. Her hormones not only tell her this is Mr. Right, her heart starts to confirm it. Only problem is he's human, a veterinarian, no less. But there's something about him that she just can't resist. Of course, this really has her trying to kick start her research; she can almost taste the "normal" life with Jensen, a few kids, the house with the white picket fence, etc. For his part, Jensen is equally smitten and equally clueless as to why. Throw in overwhelming guilt over the death of a former fiancee, and you've got plenty of drama. Throw in the werewolf's "mate" and you've got even more. Yes, Brody finds Elizabeth and is determined to use her to get back into the good graces of the pack, and he's not taking no for an answer.

As I said, it was surprisingly good and entertaining. I finished it pretty quickly and don't feel like I skimmed to do it. The sex scenes were steamy, but it was also obvious that this story was going to be about a lot more than carnal knowledge, a very good thing in my opinion. I don't know if Ms. Love has anything more to write about the Young family, but I feel pretty sure that I'll be reading her next book.

No comments: