Wednesday, November 7, 2007

"Thin Air" by Rachel Caine


This is a series (of course!) that my bookstore friend got me into a while back. Joanne Baldwin is a Weather Warden, one of many humans that can control the weather. You just thought you knew how life worked, huh? In the previous Weather Warden titles, we have been introduced to Joanne, watched her run for her life several times, and watched her fall in love with a Djinn named David. It's been a wild ride for Joanne, but nothing like Book Six of this series.

I won't go into too much detail because hopefully you'll be intrigued enough to check out the rest of the series. If not, Book Six is actually not a bad place for you to pick up the series, as it opens with Joanne having amnesia. She has no idea who she is or what she can do. She doesn't remember anything, other than basic stuff like "this is a shirt" and "this is food", etc. When I started reading, I was really flummoxed as to how all this would play out. But I have to admit, about half-way through this book, I found myself thinking that Rachel Caine has hit upon a very novel idea: take one of the installments in her successful series and give the character amnesia, thus letting new readers find her and fall in love. This book works mostly because I really think anyone could pick it up and enjoy it - there's plenty of back story filled in thanks to Joanne's figuring out how to go into someones mind and look at their memories. It helps her fill in some of the blanks, just as it does for new readers. I really am impressed by this approach, and it was nice for someone like myself, who has been reading the series since Book One, to be reminded of some of Joanne's previous adventures.

I'm anxious to see how the next Weather Warden book turns out. Yes, you read that right - according to the author's "tease" in the back of this book, Book 7 will be out next summer. So Joanne will be fighting the good fight in one form or another again. Do yourself a favor and get to know the Weather Wardens.

No comments: